- Try the famous Greek “tsipouro” brandy at a traditional tsipouradika tavern.
- Spend an incredible day cruising the Saronic Gulf and exploring the islands of Aegina, Poros and Hydra.
- Discover the 4,000 year old tradition of wine-making on the island of Crete at a tasting.
- Explore Oia, Santorini’s most famous and picturesque village, and witness an incredible sunset over the Aegean.
The many sides of magical Greece
- Discover the picturesque town of Edessa in Greece's Macedonia prefecture, with its landmark - the homonymous waterfall.
- Visit Aristotle’s school, where the great philosopher taught Alexander the Great “the doctrines of morals and politics”.
- Stop in Pella, the birthplace of Alexander the Great. Visit the local site and museum and see the exquisite floor mosaics from the 4th century B.C.
- Enjoy a panoramic tour of the city of Thessaloniki, including a drive to the upper part of the city to see the Theodosian walls and admire the view, and a short walk along the sea-front promenade and Aristotelous square.
- Explore the Macedonian royal tombs in Vergina, including the impressive tomb of King Philip II - father of Alexander the Great.
- Stop at Paleos Panteleimon, a beautiful restored mountain village with stone-built houses, quaint shops and restaurants.
- Ride the restored Mt Pelion steam train through amazing scenery to the village of Milies.
- Explore Makrinitsa, one of the most beautiful villages of Mt Pelion with its beautiful stone-built houses, cafes and tavernas.
- Take an evening walk through the famous “Tsipouradika” area and enjoy dinner at a traditional “tsipouradiko”, drinking the famous Greek “tsipouro” with the locals.
- Be amazed by the fascinating cliff-top monasteries of Meteora.
- In Delphi admire the Sanctuary of Apollo, the Treasury of the Athenians and visit the museum, home to the famous “bronze charioteer”.
- Take a short boat ride to the beautiful green islet of Trizonia and enjoy lunch at a local fish tavern.
- Discover the ancient site of Olympia including the Temple of Zeus, the Palaestra, Phidias’s Workshop and the Olympia Archaeological Museum.
- Visit Epidaurus, the most important healing center in antiquity, famous for its theatre with incomparable acoustics.
- Explore the Castle of Palamidi, a fortress perched high on a cliff affording stunning views over the town of Nafplion.
- Take an evening walking tour to discover the picturesque town of Nafplion.
- Visit Mycenae, one of Greece's most important archaeological sites, and see the tomb of Agamemnon and the famous Lion’s gate.
- Tour the ancient city of Corinth and visit the Agora (market place) and the Temple of Apollo.
- See the famous Corinth Canal.
- Discover Athens on a panoramic tour of the city, taking in the Academy, the National Library, the Greek Parliament and the Tomb of Unknown Soldier, the Panathinaikon marble stadium where the first modern Olympics took place, Hadrian’s Arch, the Temple of Olympian Zeus, and other monuments and landmarks of the city.
- Enjoy a guided visit to the museum of Acropolis, considered one of the best museums in Europe.
- Stroll through the popular Monastiraki and Plaka areas.
- Spend a full day cruising the Saronic Gulf and exploring the islands of Aegina, Poros and Hydra.
- Visit Cape Sounion and the Temple of Poseidon, an incredible structure perched high on a cliff overlooking the ocean.
- In Chania on the island of Crete, see the Venetian Harbour and take a short walk through the market, then drive to Souda Bay to visit the WWII Commonwealth Cemetery.
- Stop in at a small family operated winery, wander through the little museum and taste some of the wines and local snacks.
- Learn about the Australian WWII history at the Monastery of Preveli, uniquely located on the Cretan mountains overlooking the Lybian sea.
- Stop at the Fortezza, the Venetian castle dominating the town of Paleokastro, to admire the view to Rethymnon.
- Visit Lychnostatis open-air museum, which presents the Cretan life. It contains a great variety of artefacts and structures related to Cretan folk tradition, ethnology, economic activity, culture, nature and environment.
- Visit the ceremonial and political center of the Minoan civilization and culture, the Minoan Palace of Knossos, which in mythology housed the labyrinth of the mythical Minotaur.
- Take a high-speed ferry to the breathtaking Greek island of Santorini.
- In Santorini take a short tour to the villages of Megalochori and Pyrgos and visit the monastery of Profitis Ilias at the highest point of the island for stunning views.
- Taste some of the wines made on the island of Santorini.
- Visit the site of Akrotiri. Covered in ashes during the Great Eruption, the city has been unearthed almost completely intact. You'll also see some of the black-sand beaches of the island, like Kamari and Perivolos.
- Watch a magical Aegean sunset over dinner at a local restaurant in Oia.
Pre Tour Stay
Consider arriving a day before the tour starting date, or enjoy a stopover. You can relax and refresh after a long flight. The cost of the additional night/s of stay applies. Ask our travel team about this option, and the additional costs.
DAY 1 - TUESDAY 22 MAY 2018
DAY 2 – WEDNESDAY 23 MAY 2018
Welcome to Greece and the port city of Thessaloniki in the country’s north! Meet your fellow travellers and Tour Director this evening for a welcome drink.
Meals: welcome drink
DAY 3 – THURSDAY 24 MAY 2018
Thessaloniki is the perfect base from which to explore Greece’s Macedonia prefecture, and today we discover some of the picturesque local towns. We’ll visit Edessa and its waterfalls, and Pella, the birthplace of Alexander the Great. This evening we’ll discover the beautiful waterfront district of Ladadika on foot before a group welcome dinner.
Meals: Breakfast, Dinner
DAY 4 – FRIDAY 25 MAY 2018
Thessaloniki - Volos
We begin the day in Thessaloniki’s upper districts to see the Theodosian walls and enjoy panoramic views over the city. We’ll then make our way towards Volos, stopping to tour the Royal Tombs in Vergina and the unique restored mountain village of Palaios Panteleimonas.
DAY 5 – SATURDAY 26 MAY 2018
This morning we board the Mt Pelion steam train for a scenic journey up the slopes to the village of Milies. We’ll also explore the local villages of Portaria and Makrinitsa.
Special Experience: We’ll try the famous Greek “tsipouro” at a traditional tsipouradika tavern this evening.
Meals: Breakfast, Dinner
DAY 6 – SUNDAY 27 MAY 2018
Today we discover the amazing clifftop monasteries of Meteora. Monks have been settled on these ‘columns of the sky’ since the 11th century. Since early Christian times, Meteora’s cliffs have been regarded as the perfect place to attain absolute isolation in order to achieve peace and harmony. The tallest of these incredible rock formations reaches 400m.
DAY 7 – MONDAY 28 MAY 2018
Volos - Nafpaktos
This morning we visit Delphi, considered by the ancient Greeks to be the centre of the world. We’ll enjoy a guided tour of the archaeological ruins and museum, then take a short caique ride to the beautiful islet of Trizonia for lunch at a local fish tavern. We’ll continue to the town of Nafpaktos in the Gulf of Corinth this afternoon.
Meals: Breakfast, Lunch
DAY 8 – TUESDAY 29 MAY 2018
Nafpaktos – Nafplion
Today we visit the home of the Olympic Games, Olympia. We’ll explore the ancient site and tour the museum. After lunch we cross the Peloponnese peninsula and make our way to the charming seaside town of Nafplion.
DAY 9 – WEDNESDAY 30 MAY 2018
Admire the best-preserved theatre of Ancient Greece, the Sanctuary of Asklepio, in Epidaurus this morning. We’ll then return to Nafplion and explore the Castle of Palamidi, a fortress perched high on a cliff offering stunning views.
DAY 10 – THURSDAY 31 MAY 2018
Nafplion - Athens
Mycenae is one of Greece’s most important archaeological sites and the birthplace of the culture that dominated during the late Bronze Age. We visit the site this morning, along with ancient Corinth, one of the major cities of antiquity.
DAY 11 – FRIDAY 01 JUNE 2018
After breakfast, we discover the diversity of Athens on a city tour. Highlights include the ancient Acropolis and the magnificent Parthenon. We’ll also explore the Plaka district to get a taste of the local atmosphere. Tonight we’ll wander through the Thisio and Monastiraki districts on the way to dinner at a local restaurant.
Meals: Breakfast, Dinner
DAY 12 – SATURDAY 02 JUNE 2018
Special Experience: Spend an incredible day cruising the Saronic Gulf and exploring the islands of Aegina, Poros and Hydra.
Meals: Breakfast, Lunch
DAY 13 – SUNDAY 03 JUNE 2018
Athens – Overnight Ferry
This morning is at leisure before our afternoon visit to Cape Sounion and the Temple of Poseidon. The incredible structure perches high on the edge of a cliff that plunges 65m to the sea. On a clear day, the area also affords views to the islands of Kea, Kythnos, Serifos, Aegina and the Peloponnese. Tonight we board an overnight ferry to the island of Crete.
DAY 14 – MONDAY 04 JUNE 2018
Today we discover the delightful city and surrounds of Chania, Crete’s capital.
The rest of the afternoon is at leisure before we explore the Old Town port on foot this evening.
Special Experience: Discover the 4,000-year-old tradition of winemaking on the island of Crete at a tasting.
DAY 15 – TUESDAY 05 JUNE 2018
Enjoy a day at leisure to relax in the sun. The Venetian Harbour is host to a wealth of waterfront restaurants and an old port - it’s the perfect place to begin exploring.
DAY 16 – WEDNESDAY 06 JUNE 2018
Chania – Heraklion
After breakfast, we depart for Heraklion, Crete’s largest city. Along the way, we’ll stop at Moni Preveli Monastery on the island’s south coast, to visit the Australian Memorial to the heroic battle of Crete during WWII in May 1941, and to witness the stunning views over the sea.
DAY 17 - THURSDAY 07 JUNE 2018
This morning we visit the Minoan Palace of Knossos, considered to be Europe’s oldest city (dating from the Bronze Age), and the largest archaeological site on the island. After lunch, we’ll take a walking tour of Heraklion’s old town.
DAY 18 – FRIDAY 08 JUNE 2018
Heraklion – Santorini
Board the high-speed ferry to the island of Santorini this morning. After checking in, we’ll take a short tour to the villages of Megalochori and Pyrgos, and travel up to the monastery at the island’s highest point to enjoy the amazing vistas.
DAY 19 – SATURDAY 09 JUNE 2018
The day is at leisure for you to enjoy beautiful Santorini at your own pace.
DAY 20 – SUNDAY 10 JUNE 2018
The morning is at leisure before our afternoon visit to the site of Akrotiri. Covered in ashes during the Great Eruption, the city has been unearthed almost completely intact. We’ll also visit some of the island’s black sand beaches.
Special Experience: This evening we’ll explore Oia, Santorini’s most famous and picturesque village, and witness an incredible sunset over the Aegean, before a group farewell dinner at a local restaurant.
Meals: Breakfast, Dinner
DAY 21 – MONDAY 11 JUNE 2018
Today we bid farewell to Greece and begin our journey home.
DAY 22 – TUESDAY 12 JUNE 2018
Itineraries are subject to change, due to circumstances outside of our control. IF there is any itinerary change prior to departure of significance we aim to inform you prior to travel. Itinerary changes while on tour will be informed by your tour leader/guide while on tour.